Facebook – the social media giant became a household name around the world in the mid-2000s. Back then, it was used primarily by people to connect with friends and family, share updates, and stay informed about each other’s lives. But with billions of active users, it soon became a hotspot for businesses, particularly in the D2C domain. D2C businesses of all sizes started to establish their presence on Facebook and attract this ocean of users to their websites.
One marketing strategy in the Facebook ecosystem that has proven to be quite a hit amongst D2C businesses is ‘Advertising’. With a plethora of ad formats available, savvy D2C marketers have started using Facebook advertising extensively to grow their sales and boost brand awareness.
So what are the most sought-after types of Facebook ads that successful marketers use to drive clicks and generate revenue? And how do E-commerce advertisers ensure that their ad reaches the right audience? Find out the answers in this post.
Why Advertise On Facebook?
There are several compelling reasons why you must consider advertising on Facebook. Here are the top ones –
- In the first quarter of 2023, there were 2.98 billion active users on Facebook. That’s 2.98 billion people you can hope to reach via Facebook advertising – a monumental number of target audiences to tap into even for an established D2C business.
- Facebook’s advanced targeting capabilities enable a marketer to reach highly specific audiences. You can pick a group of individuals to target based on factors such as age, gender, location, interests, and behaviours. The benefit of this is that you can create highly targeted campaigns that are more likely to resonate with your target audience.
- Compared to traditional forms of advertising like print or TV ads, Facebook advertising is a lot more affordable and cost-effective. You can set your own budget and choose from a variety of bidding options. It ensures that you get a very high ROI for your ad spend.
- Facebook also offers detailed insights into the performance of your ad campaigns. You can monitor metrics such as impressions, clicks, and conversions 24X7. This will help in optimizing your campaigns and achieve better results over time.
Six Facebook Advertising Formats You Should Know
There are different types of Facebook ads that you can adopt to reach your target audience. Here are six of the most common formats along with some of the best practices you can adopt to succeed:
Single Image Ad Format
A single image format allows you to promote your products using a single image. These ads are quite popular among businesses because they are easy to create and can be very effective in grabbing the customer’s attention. Here is an example of a single-image Facebook ad –
- Since your entire ad revolves around a single image, make sure the creative you choose is visually appealing and relevant to your ad goal.
- Use concise and compelling copy that gets straight to the point. Convey most of your message through the image.
- Do not ignore the aspect ratios of the image. More importantly, make sure your image doesn’t get stretched or cut off at important places. The recommended aspect ratio is between 9:16 to 16:9. Both PNG and JPEG are supported.
Single Video Ad Format
This type of Facebook ad uses a single video to promote your brand or products. A video ad can convey a lot more information than an image in a short span. However, they are quite time-consuming to create. They are ideal for demonstrating how a product works or even showcasing its different features and benefits.
- Keep your video length less than 15 seconds.
- Make sure you captivate the users within the first few seconds of the video.
- Pick a visually appealing thumbnail image that accurately represents the content of your video.
Carousel Ad Format
This ad format lets you showcase multiple images or videos within a single ad post. This type of ad is ideal for promoting multiple products, features, or benefits in a single ad, or to tell a story across multiple images. Here is an example of a Facebook carousel ad
- Make sure each card in your carousel ad flows logically and builds on the previous one.
- Start with a hook and accompany the text with attractive images
- Create multiple CTAs, multiple catchy headlines, and descriptions for all the cards. This will increase the chances of garnering a click.
Slideshow Ad Format
This ad format is similar to the video ads. The only difference is that slideshow ads comprise 3-10 images that play like a video. It is ideal for those looking to showcase their product with motion and sound but don’t have access to video content. Here is a slideshow video ad format –
- Incorporate motion between your images to make them as appealing as a video. This can include panning, zooming, or fading in and out.
- Insert music to make it more engaging to your target audience.
- Add text overlays to your images to communicate your message.
Collection Ad Format
It’s a mobile-only ad format that contains a cover image or video, followed by several product images displayed in a grid format. This is a great way to showcase a collection of related products as it offers an immersive transition from ad to product page. However, this ad format is only available on mobile devices.
- Fill your catalogue with a variety of products. Allow Facebook to choose the products from the list.
- Pick a set of products that fit a specific theme or category. For example, it could be a seasonal collection or a product line with a shared design aesthetic.
- Experiment with different covers and product images to see which ones perform best. Use that as the main image or video.
Stories Ad Format
These are full-screen, vertical ads that appear in between user-generated stories on Facebook. They are ideal for brands looking to increase brand awareness, generate leads, and boost engagement. These ads offer a more immersive, interactive experience compared to other ad formats. They also offer a lot more freedom of expression as you can experiment with different video effects in this.
- Optimize your images and videos to be used on a full screen.
- Keep the pace of your stories quick, so that users are not bored.
- Many users watch stories with the sound turned off, so make sure your ad works both with and without sound.
10 Types Of Facebook Ads To Win Customers
You can create different types of ads on Facebook serving different purposes. The right one can make all the difference in the success of your advertising campaign. Let us explore the 10 types of Facebook ads that can help you win customers and grow your business.
Lead ads are usually created to gather contact information for future marketing efforts. These types of Facebook ads are best suited for businesses looking to generate leads and revenue. These ads typically lead users to a form, which allows businesses to collect valuable information like name, email address, phone number, etc. Interestingly, this form is usually pre-populated by Facebook, making it extremely easy for users to submit their information.
Dynamic ads are quite similar to remarketing ads. These types of Facebook ads allow marketers to promote products based on the browsing history of the user. Once your product catalogue is linked to Facebook and the pixel is installed on your E-commerce site, these ads start getting displayed to your website visitors when they log into Facebook. They will see the ad for the same products they were browsing on your website, making the ad extremely personalized and relevant.
These types of Facebook ads allow you to reach users directly on their Facebook Messenger inbox. Upon clicking the ad on their inbox, a Facebook conversation with your page will be initiated. You can also create automated chat experiences that answer common sales questions about your products without users leaving the Messenger app.
Facebook Instant Experience Ads
Instant Experience ads are highly interactive ads that are restricted only to mobile devices. Previously known as Canvas ads, these ads offer an immersive experience where people can watch captivating videos, view photos, swipe through carousels, explore lifestyle images with tagged products, all within a single ad.
Boosted Post Ads
A boosted post looks exactly like a regular Facebook post but with a Sponsored note on the top. Whenever you are creating a post for your page, you will be given the option to boost the post. Enabling this will amplify your post’s reach among your targeted audience and increase the likelihood of engagement and improve brand awareness.
Page Like Ads
If you want to garner more likes for your Facebook page, this is your best ad choice. These ads have a CTA that allows users to like your page. To promote, all you have to do is click on the Promote button on your Facebook page. These ads appear in the Facebook News Feed and can be targeted to specific audiences. Page Like ads are a great method to increase your followers when you are just starting your brand.
Website Traffic Generation Ads
The primary goal of these Facebook ads is to promote your own website by sending Facebook users to your landing pages. You can target specific users using lookalike audiences so that only relevant audiences reach your landing page. These ads can also be optimized for key campaign objectives, such as website traffic or landing page views.
Abandoned Cart Retargeting Ads
Cart abandonment is a plaguing issue for E-commerce businesses. The best way to counter this is through retargeting ads. You can run personalized Facebook retargeting ads aimed at people who visited your site and added products to the cart but never completed the checkout process. These ads usually offer an incentive such as discounts or free shipping.
Customer Thank You Ads
A thank you ad is usually created by businesses that believe in direct selling marketing tactics over traditional methods such as showcasing their products and highlighting their benefits. Such types of Facebook ads generate a better impact as users can emotionally connect to such messages.
New Product Ads For Existing Customers
As the name suggests, these ads are sent to your existing customers on Facebook when you launch a new product. Their goal is to generate additional sales and encourage repeat purchases. Since the customers are already aware of your brand, you can put all your focus on the product and its benefits instead of talking about your brand.
Expert Tips For Great Facebook Ads
Creating great Facebook ads requires a combination of creativity, strategy, and knowledge of the platform’s features. Here are some expert tips to help you in creating these ads –
Acquire New Customers With Custom and Lookalike Audiences
Custom Audiences and Lookalike Audiences are Facebook features that allow you to create ads relevant to a specific group of people. Custom audiences can be created with the help of users’ past interactions with your brand or by using email lists or phone numbers. Lookalike Audiences allow you to target users who are similar to your existing customer base. To create Custom Audiences, you can upload your customer data to Facebook and create a target audience based on that data. Both these features help you create personalized ad campaigns catering to your buyer persona. This can increase the effectiveness of your advertising and drive more sales.
Target Potential Shoppers Who Are Dissatisfied With Your Competitors
Keep tracking users who have engaged with your competitors’ pages or posts. Some of them will be dissatisfied with their product quality or customer. Focus on them and create different types of Facebook ads that highlight your USP. Encourage them to switch to your brand. To target these users, all you have to do is create custom audiences based on people who have engaged with your competitors’ pages, groups, or posts. The chances of converting these users are higher than attracting new users because these users are already in the market searching for similar products.
Use A Conversion Pixel To Track And Retarget Cart Abandonment Activity
By using a conversion pixel you can track and retarget users who visited your website including those who have abandoned their carts. When you target them you can recover lost sales. A conversion pixel is a small piece of code that is placed on your website. It tracks user activity, including when a user adds a product to their cart but does not complete their purchase. With this data, you can use an ad to remind users about the product they were interested in and encourage them to complete the purchase. These users are more likely to convert as they have already shown interest in your products.
Consider Your Facebook Ad Placements
While creating and publishing different types of Facebook ads, carefully consider the different placements available on Facebook. Each ad placement has its own share of advantages and disadvantages, and you must evaluate them carefully by considering your target audience and advertising goals. For instance, in-feed ads are highly effective for increasing brand awareness and engagement while stories ads are a great choice for reaching younger audiences.
A/B Split Test Each New Facebook Ad Campaign
It doesn’t matter what types of Facebook ads you create, it is important to A/B test them. Create text and image variations and test them with a pilot campaign to see which combination generates maximum impact. You can also experiment with the targeting options and placements.
Use Graph Search and Audience Insights
Facebook’s Graph Search allows you to search for specific keywords and phrases related to your industry. It’s a great way to see what content and products are most widely shared by your target audience and your competitors. On the other hand, the Audience Insights feature unlocks a treasure trove of demographic, behavioural and interest data on Facebook users. Both these tools feed you with great insights into your target audience and highlight different opportunities for growth using advertisements.
The Final Word
Facebook ads can be a great choice for D2C businesses looking to bolster their sales and grow their online brand. By selecting the right ad format and targeting the right audience, you can see promising results in your advertising campaigns.
However, creating Facebook ads and managing them can be time-consuming, which is where a reliable E-commerce growth partner like ANS Commerce can help. We provide expert guidance and end-to-end support in creating and executing successful Facebook ad campaigns, ensuring that you can focus on what you do best while still achieving all your growth goals.
Ready to take your D2C business to the next level? Consider partnering with ANS Commerce today. Book a demo now!